Friday, November 4, 2022

Supreme Court

Arguably the most important group of people in the United States, the Supreme Court makes some of the toughest decisions in the history of the country. This group of people often receive a lot of backlash because one party always feels like they are voting against them one way or another, so there is never a day where everyone is happy with the decisions they make.

The first thing I learned about the justices is that they have to wait for people to bring their own problems into the court rather than the justices choosing what to decide on. When they make a decision and change laws based on the constitution it is not an issue that they just pluck out of the sky, it is something that is brought to them that also needs a reason for it to be brought up. 


A takeaway that I had from Part I and Part II of the video was that there is a lot more to being a supreme court justice than just voting on issues. They also have to do a lot of research looking for cases and then after they have chosen a case they spend months studying the case so that they know everything they should know. 

Something that was extremely surprising to me was that all of the justices are all very friendly with one another and before every session they get together and shake one another's hands. I think this was surprising to me because the media today likes to portray the justices as all sharing different beliefs, while that can be true, they still respect one another quite a lot. 


Overall, my opinion of the supreme court has changed a lot after watching that video because it really showed me what the justices are like and everything they must do. I now look at the supreme court as a very reliable group of people. Before I had my reservations about them but now that I know more specific details about them, they are a very important group of people that have some of the toughest but, ultimately, the most important jobs in the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment